When you're faced with water damage after a flood, attacking the problem with detergent, sanitizers, and elbow grease are helpful, but not enough to combat the long term effects and restore your property to its previous state. Calling a professional remediation company with the proper equipment can save you money in the long run by heading off potential problems
Hidden Damage That Can Cause You Problems
The trouble with water is that it absorbs into any porous surface. If your home has been overrun with dirty water and sewage, you have a biohazard to deal with. Carpeting and the padding beneath it act like a sponge to soak it up and invite mold growth, while floors and even the subflooring beneath carpeting and vinyl tile swells and bubbles. Drywall used on walls and ceilings swell, soften and lead to leaks and mold, while the joists underneath are affected as well.
How Does a Water Remediation Company Attack the Problem?
When a technician from AmeriDry comes to your home, he comes equipped with a variety of equipment.
• First, he has precision equipment to help determine how far the water has traveled. If you had a flood from a natural disaster, he might assume the worst, but when the toilet, sink, or washing machine is overflowed, he investigates thoroughly with infrared cameras and moisture meters.
• After obtaining authorization from your insurance company, he lays out what steps are necessary to do the cleanup. This might involve removing baseboards, carpeting, padding, toe tucks, drywall, ceiling tile, and anything else that either shows damage or could hide damage. He will also set up dehumidifiers and air movers to facilitate the process of drying out your home.
• Since quick action is necessary to prevent mold growth which can happen within 24 to 48 hours (or sooner if you live in a humid climate like in Florida), the technician and staff will start extracting water from your carpet and other surfaces with high-powered equipment like pumps and commercial wet vacuuming equipment. A good remediation company will follow the practices defined by the IICRC, to make sure that services in your home are not just dried to the touch but dry to the bone.
• Once most of the water has been removed, the technician will use specialized air moving equipment to change any remaining water from liquid to a vapor. He will then use the dehumidification equipment to remove the moisture from the air. The triple process of extraction, evaporation, and dehumidification are necessary so that mold will not develop in the structure or contents of the home.
• The technician will also take steps to remove germs and odor, remediate any mold that has formed, and clean the area with the HEPA vacuum before arranging for any construction and remodeling needed to restore the area.
AmeriDry for Water Remediation in Southwest Florida
With all the steps and equipment involved in doing a thorough job, it is easy to see why a professional remediation company is often necessary to completely recover from water damage. AmeriDry is on hand 24/7 to respond to a call about flooding in your home. We serve Naples, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Port Charlotte and Marco Island with restoration services, so if you have a problem, give us a call at 239-225-1379 so we can get a technician out as quickly as possible to assess the damage.